Monday, August 27, 2012

January 15th 2012

I was sure I had posted  since Xmas but it seems not...  so here begins a bit of a catch up...


This morning (January 15th 2012!!!) I awoke and got up to -15 degree temperatures and fresh snow, to make my hubby a cup of tea.
I saw a reddish flash, via a  fleeting glance, out towards the bird (non-squirrel) feeder.
I registered that it was from a flying-away bird, bigger than a sparrow.
Hmmmm.  I thought little more of it as the bird had flown off, probably because it had seen me filling the kettle!

But, when John went to get his gluten -free cereal, he must have seen the same bird, because independently and then vocally, he wondered "What bird could it have been with a "red beak and tufty head".

He thought he had seen it well enough to identify it, no luck using Gadd, but John wasn't put off even as I kept reminding him that Redpoles are called that for a reason.  However,  with the luxury of the internet and a comfy pillow behind his back, he started searching in earnest and found the Northern Cardinal, I told him to look at the female as I have a history of spotting this bird in our garden, though never when I have had a camera to hand and never when there has been snow on  the ground….… and he was convinced.

Since this bird was clearly around in our garden this morning, I said I was prepared to stand still in the kitchen for an hour or so to get a photo.  And I went to get my camera… I couldn't believe my luck… as soon as I looked out, there she was and I snapped away with my little trusty Nikon Cooooooool pix P6000. Digital zoom :-))))

This image has not  been cropped, enhanced or otherwise manipulated and was taken at about 9:50 on Jan 15th 2012.

I believe there is no doubt at all.
Please correct me if I am wrong but this proves that the Cardinal and maybe this particular female comes in our garden in SW Calgary Alberta, Canada in very cold temperatures in January.
So  - - all those who have told me it is impossible, that maybe, perhaps a Cardinal in summer, before they leave for Houston or somewhere… eat birdseed will you!

Best wishes all birdologists like me who bow to better judgement though sometimes just occasionally think they did see what they saw and are, just now and again, right. (excuse mixed tenses).

No comments: