Thursday, November 19, 2015

Second week in Houston

Wednesday - I was picked up by Terri King who was invaluable.  She drove me all around town.
Firstly to a Houston Fibre Artists meeting(see blog) and then to see Maker space and her own studio on Silver Street.
This is a Whosie
To the left is maker space, to the rear is an amazingly large factory that John and I later discovered manufactures coffee - probably like Nescafe... coffee essence... it is called Atlantic Coffee Solutions.


The Weekend - 17 -18 with John and I did do some driving.  It isn't too bad with the GPS and a patient un-phasable husband sitting next to me.
Some expats (I have met two who this applies to) won't drive into downtown for fear of being up on these interchanges... I found you don't realize you are high up if you are on the high up section... You only realize the height from down below.

Saturday: Canyon Cafe, The Galleria, Silver Street.
John and I visited Maker Space - they were having an open day... this is a contemplative photo of fencing across from Makerspace.

The famous Galleria Shopping Mall (though dated) has an ice rink with a Zamboni... hardly visible at middle, home sickness pangs.
Then we moved on to Silver Street Studios because I knew John would find Photofest interesting.
John didn't take any notes but found this work fascinating as a way of displaying clouds 'properly' showing their true beauty - If you have details of this work please let me know as I have given  no credits.
On Sunday We drove to Basdrop
And on the way a buzzing bakery... Hruska's which dates from 1912 (at Ellinger) buzzingly busy... and I was introduced to Kolache.. two types.  The apricot kolache (lower) was delicious.  But very very filling. This was lunch.  Experimenting is good/and can be yum.
Whilst going to the washroom I read a notice on a wooden block that was for sale as a decorative ornament:-
"We don't call 911"and alongside this statement an image of a gun.
 If you click on the image above to enlarge it, you will see things... I often don't know what things are for... I really am a world away from the way of life here in rural Texas.
 Still in the honeymoon phase of the cultural shift.
Basdrop:
Wonderful glass and metal sculpture outside a library
 No filters applied, the sky just is that blue.
Well maybe a bit brighter, when not underexposing for the bright light off the boards.
We followed a map of the town that gave details of the history of many buildings.
Strangely this one had no details, however I think one can use ones imagination... the girls would be hanging out of the balcony, beckoning.  The music would be heard all down the street.
 The chicken is for you Robin

And then round about the town hall things started to fall on our heads.  It wasn't the sky falling in, it was these...
If you don't know, they are pecan nuts - Quite an important crop here.  Pecan Pie/oil etc.
 We walked over the River... isn't she beautiful... The Colorado of our geography lessons?
And look what is happening - so much love.
On the way home we stopped at a Historical Site... here the ancient fort has disappeared but the trees that will have been mere saplings at that time are supported to help make the location interesting.  And they are very old trees!

No comments: