
Last night was a step forward in our integration into Canada and more particularly Calgarian life.
We were invited to see The Flames play the Pittsburgh Penguins. It was a fascinating experience. For a start the last time I was in a big stadium was in Birmingham when I went to watch Aston Villa play ?Liverpool and as you can see (?) it didn't make a big impression on me.
Yesterday it was different... a sea of red sweaters, the pitch an ice hockey rink, and the view, total - as compared to Villa where I couldn't see a thing (being too small and in the stands).
The Orwellian experience ("Make More Noise" flashed around the stadiums' screens) was sometimes quite surreal... And yes, I am sold on the sport now - it was more enjoyable than the TV version, with body checking not looking so aggressive or painful and the puck clearly visible for most of the time...
On the way home we discussed in jest the immediate need to replace the computer TV with a large flat screen....
As for the fighting - there were three eruptions... and it was my reaction to these (a mixture of disgust and consternation) and the fact that I cannot get used to these million(s)-dollar price-tagged guys playing 'games' rather than 'matches' that tells me I am an alien in Calgary.
By the way The Flames only scored once (final score 1:3 to the Penguins) so 'The Flames' which burn above the ice, were only lit once... I was so shocked I missed an opportunity to take a photo to show you.... but the fires are so big their flames did heat us up halfway up the arena.
Anyone got a Flames match ticket for sale?
2 comments:
Will the Ice Hockey be in season when we visit? Have heard of the song: Smoke on the Water (ask John if you can't remeberr it) and sounds like a good come back song: "Fire on the ice" the return of the yeti.
Luv
D
Hockey in the summer, I don't think so. Sadly it looks like it finishes in April. I could record a game for you if you like.
Smoke on the Water... was before my time... and you make it sound like I am very very old.... I'll get you back... of course I do know it... what goes around comes around. I have Al singing Brian Ferry these days of course it is a cover version she has no idea who I am talking about... but back to Hockey... check out the Flames captain... http://flames.nhl.com/club/roster.htm
scroll down you get the images too... I guess he is the Beckham of Calgary.
Post a Comment