Monday, January 18, 2010

Karin and John Ski



We visited Sunshine, stayed overnight at the lodge and found that this is a marvellous way to have a full day's skiing the following day... we were up on the hill straight after a fairly early but leisurely breakfast. Skiing on fresh snow... very nice.
Shown above are the metal punctured up and down light fitting that I thought were very apt for a ski lodge, considering that is what we did all day... went up and down.

And a carpenter's view of Sunshine Village. The pub in the centre of the 'Village' (it is a very small village) is the original Sunshine Cabin. The village sits at above 2000m. This means your heart races when climbing the stairs to your room.
Light pollution is minimal in the village and we admired the star-filled sky reminiscing about Oman and thinking of Rebecca's astronomy lessons in the Wahiba sands.
But the next day was full of hard physical exercise and John put back the calories with his first taste of poutine... a Canadian delicacy. "Poutine is Acadian slang for mushy mess and is best described as a heart attack in a bowl."

If you can't quite make it out it is (processed) cheese cubes with gravy over chips. Yum! :-(

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poutine is awesome! stop hating Canadian tradition :) just because you don't like meat, fat and basically a heart attack in a tray does not make it not awesome.

Karin Millson said...

Dear Anonymous,
If I were not a vegetarian I am sure I would have had a taste... as it was John loved it... and so do millions of others. Please moderate your own language when uploading comments to blogger. I believe in freedom of speech so have accepted your comment, "Hate" implies very strong, viciously negative feelings and its use here is far from the truth (when used to discus my feelings for Canadian traditions) and I hope I have not indicated that I 'hate' anything on this blog.

Anonymous said...

lol. You know they have vegetarian gravy kicking around come where just so you can get increased amounts of cholesterol. My last post was sarcastic I hope it didn't come across as rude. but if you don't like poutine you should try La Cabane a Sucre.