Saturday, September 18, 2010

This weekend: Sept - 18

This is a woodpecker to me and a "Northern Flicker" to Al.  You are right it isn't on a tree.  This particular creature and its mate are having fun looking for the nuts that the black squirrels have 'hidden' for them in our lawn.  Al and I have discussions about whether the birds are looking for the nuts (she says not) or the insects that have inhabited the rotting nuts (I say) or perhaps just insects in the lawn - who knows.
One thing is for sure squirrels and woodpeckers are not the best of buddies (I hope I can get a photo of the war between them at some point).

i know this photo isn't up to blog standard (neither is the woodpecker at higher mag. I hear you cry).  But I couldn't resist showing you the carrots (Daucus carota to Al) that Al dug up today.  They have had a frost on them so should be sweeter (according to CBC Radio).  And John says I should put him out in the frost too... but he then realised it would take more than one frost to sweeten him up.

Thanks for the nice comments (via skype) about my previous blog entry.... please would someone get you all logged on as google users so you can comment directly online... it would be so much nicer to keep a record of what you guys say as well as the drivel I write.

Isn't blogging an excellent outlet for one who hasn't got a voice.

No comments: